Monday, January 17, 2011

Little Bear


We have recently learned that what we feared most is coming to be.

My nephew, Grayson will turn two years old this week. He was born with a defect in his left eye (his mom knows the technical term). He is one of the most precious children you could ever know. He is loving and funny and laughs a lot! He is so special and we have known that from the beginning. Bless his heart, he has had several procedures and a surgery to reattach the retina of his eye which was unsuccessful.

A couple of weeks ago we found out that his left eye is causing him pain. They are going to have to remove the eye. I am so sad for my sister. She knows this is the best thing. She understands that he is pain and needs the eye removed and that now is better than later because of his young age. But, still, as a mother she hurts because they are taking her baby's eye out. I have no doubt that this road they are on will be long but in the end it will be very meaningful.

God is perfect and Grayson was made perfectly.

Through all this I have come to see my mortality a bit clearer. I take so much for granted...not that I am condemning myself for that. When you have something that has never been taken from you then you do take it for granted...it is natural. But to be so close to my nephew who has limited vision makes me appreciate so many things.
I can see him and he can see me.
I can hear him laugh, he can hear me call him Bear. :)
I can hold him, push him on the swings, play blocks with him and run with him.
Nothing stops us from loving each other.


Life challenges us often. That is part of why we are here. The way we rise to the challenges of life is what makes us who we are. God wants us to rise up in Him and meet our challenges in a way that glorifies all He is. I believe that is what my sister is doing. I cannot imagine what she is feeling or thinking. I just know that she shows me nothing but courage in the midst of the unknown and faithfulness in the face of challenge.


Please be in prayer for my little Bear. His surgery is Jan 21.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know! That makes me so sad to hear. I'll be praying for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda,
    Are they here in town? If so, are they using Dr. Hunter? I only ask b/c he is usually "the" doctor that all the pediatricians send their little patients to. He is at Heaton Eye Associates.

    We have spent extensive time with him when Savannah was a baby. Don't know if you knew it already or not, but she was born with a birth defect of her eyes as well. He did 4 surgeries on her & she spent 5 years in bifocals (age 3-8) before she was officially 'cured'. He is an annointed man of God & such a sweet person! I would totally trust him to care for any child's eyes/vision.

    Please let your sister know that, from another mom who went through a lot of struggles with potential blindness & fear about her child's eyes, I will be praying for her and for your little nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz,
    Bear's doctor is Dr. Hunter and Heather could not be more pleased with him. :) He has been wonderfully attentive through the whole process.
    I think you and Heather have talked before on Facebook on one of my pictures of Bear when he was 6 months old or so. She knows you are praying for her. She has looked at this blog a few times and is reading the comments.
    Your prayers are treasured up in her heart, I know. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully by this time he is well on the way to recovery. I know it must have been a hard time for everyone involved and pray that God continues to shower His love and grace on you.

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to post an update. I dont have any updated pictures though...
    I will get right on that...Posting soon!

    ReplyDelete