Monday, January 10, 2011

Tenacious!

This year instead of making New Year's resolutions (which I forget by the middle of February) I am picking a word to define my year.
Tenacious is the word I have chosen.

te·na·cious/təˈnāSHəs/Adjective
1. Not readily letting go of, giving up, or separated from an object that one holds, a position, or a principle: "a tenacious grip".
2. Not easily dispelled or discouraged; persisting in existence or in a course of action: "a tenacious legend".

This is the word I want to describe my year. I have not thought too much of this word until our new preacher taught on it the Sunday he first came. It was an incredible sermon that has chewed on me for over 5 months now.

I want to have a "tenacious grip" and leave a "tenacious legend."

Can you imagine if all Christians were tenacious about their relationship with Christ?
I want to be so close to my Saviour that the lost see me as having tenacity for Him. I want it to be evident that I will not readily let go of Him just as He is tenacious for me. :)
It really makes me smile to think of God being tenacious for his people. But that is what the Old Testament is all about, if you think about it. He chases and pursues the Israelites. He won't give up on them and He refuses to turn back on His promises. But they continue with their idolatry, they separate themselves from Him, they follow their foolish desires right into exile. Then God sends the prophets to start telling them "there will be a time when My tenacity comes in the fullness of righteousness in the body of Christ to save us from the sin that so easily entangles."

Isn't tenacity a beautiful thing? God's tenacity bled and died for me. I want it to bleed over into all areas of my life; everything I attempt. I pray this year is full of a zeal for the Lord that cannot be stopped. A zeal so overwhelming that I am compelled to do things that I would not normally do.

I am starting with the study by Max Lucado "Outlive Your Life." Then I will move right into reading the Bible again in 90 days. (If you havent done this, you should. It is amazing.)
That is MY starting point, but there is not telling where My Maker will take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment